Although I’m not really a fan of football (actually I hate it), I am a fan of watching the Superbowl for the commercials and the finger foods since I am a snacker rather than an eater by nature! So even though I’m not a food blogger (and I dare any of you to bash my pictures or my style here), I thought I’d post a recipe (maybe more if I feel like it) of one of our favorite finger food recipes that you might want to try for your Superbowl party. My party will consist of B, Bug, Bubby, and I which is my favorite kind of party of all! My Mozzarella Sticks are a huge hit around here. And although I wouldn’t call them “low carb”, they are lower carb and most certainly lower sodium than the run-of-the-mill frozen variety. So let’s get that part out of the way, my Cheese Sticks have 5 grams of carbs and 67 mg of sodium per stick. Compare that to T.G.I.F Frozen Mozzarella Sticks at 7 grams of carbs and 260 mg of sodium per stick. Not a significant carb difference, but you can eat a little more and they are oh-so yummy! Also, if you skip the jarred marinara sauce and substitute Salsa Verde or a homemade marinara sauce (like my pizza sauce), or a homemade barbecue sauce (without all that added sugar), you could save yourself even more carbs! If you are still one of those dinosaurs that is counting calories, you’ll need to look elsewhere because I don’t figure that kind of thing at all anymore! Anyway, here goes, the following recipe makes 12 sticks:
What You’ll Need:
1 – 8 oz. block Mozzarella Cheese (most come in 16 oz. blocks so cut in half)
1/8 Cup Bread Flour (any flour will do if you aren’t worried about sodium)
1 Tbsp Milk (we use Lactose Free so that’s how the carbs/sodium are figured)
1/2 Cup Italian-style Bread Crumbs (I use any store brand)
Here’s What You Do:
1. Cut the block of cheese in half. Then cut into 12 equal-ish pieces (I cut it into four long-ways, then three planks per chunk).
2. Pour the flour into a bowl.
3. Whisk the egg and milk in another bowl.
4. Pour the bread crumbs on a plate.
5. Roll the cheese planks in the flour first and cover all surfaces, then roll them in the egg/milk mixture, then quickly roll them in the bread crumbs. The bread crumbs won’t stick easily so do one quick roll to try to “cover” them, then pat the crumbs on with your fingers making sure to cover as best as possible.
6. Place the breaded cheese sticks on a plate and place them (uncovered) in the freezer for at least a half an hour. This will help the “breading” set in and the cheese to harden a bit.
7. Heat your deep fryer to 375 degrees.
8. Once the oil is heated, place the cheese sticks (6 at a time) in the basket and drop them into the oil.
9. Make sure to “shake” the basket while you cook them so they don’t stick.
10. Cook while shaking until the breading is golden brown. This will happen very quickly (in about a minute or so) so make sure you watch them. I wait until the cheese oozes out a little so I know it is melted but they aren’t as “pretty” that way, so you might want to take them out sooner.
11. Drain basket and place finished sticks onto a paper-toweled plate to absorb some of the oil.
12. Serve and Enjoy!
Are these as “pretty” as those frozen friends we are all accustomed too? Of course not as you can see. Do they taste better than our frozen friends? You bet your sweet ass they do!
My family doesn’t even like the frozen ones anymore. Matter of fact, my husband says they are better than any restaurant Mozzarella sticks he’s ever had. If you make them, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do! Happy Superbowl!