When My Baby Hurts…I Hurt!

0 Flares Filament.io 0 Flares ×
If you follow along at all, especially on Facebook, you know that my Bug has had the flu twice already this year, within 2 weeks. Irresponsible parents that send their kids to school with fevers and/or vomiting infuriate me. But there’s not much I can do about that. And there’s not much I can do to ease my baby’s pain. That pains me.
And unfortunately, the flu, because fever presents itself, hits Bug much harder than it does most people. Fever is my little Bug’s enemy for so many reasons. Not only is she miserable as most people are, but fever brings back her past, and it brings miserable pain. When Bug was in daycare back when she was a wee tot, she contracted hand-foot-mouth disease. She was in a high-end daycare and they should have used better practices, but she contracted it just the same. It will plague her for her entire life. We take precautions. When she’s in the sun, we use hefty sunblock on her lips. If she gets sick and has a fever, we watch closely for the first signs of redness on her lips and quickly apply warm tea bags. Generally this does the trick and keeps these beasts at bay. BUT when the beasts give us no warnings, no redness, we’re left with one sick and sore baby. Such was the case with this last bout.
As you can see, this baby got hit hard this time. She was sick with the flu on Friday. High fever. I watched her closely and kept her at home. No red spots, and on Saturday morning, she was good as gold. She was fine and I was relieved. Saturday evening, we went to a Halloween party. She was fine. I have photos showing her healthy glow. No red spots. No need for alarm. Sunday morning, she woke up with open sores and pussy whelps. That’s sometimes how this goes. And it totally sucks. No one should have to feel this pain, especially not my baby.
It’s Wednesday late night and they are finally healing up. I had to send her back to school on Tuesday and she was embarrassed. They aren’t contagious 48 hours after the initial outbreak and she couldn’t miss anymore school. But she was afraid the kids would make fun of her (for the record, they did not). She was afraid because these things hurt her and it’s hard for her to eat. She’s afraid that she will have to deal with these for the rest of her life. She’s right, but it’s hard to admit that to her now. It’s hard to deal with it now. It’s hard to watch my baby in pain and know that there’s nothing I can do. We have tea bags to ward off the beastly creatures when there are warning signs. We have prescription medication to fight these nasty creatures when the aforementioned doesn’t work. But I have no magic spell nor potion to take the pain away in the meantime. This is physically and emotionally draining for her. This…this is when parenting sucks.

About Christy

Christy Gossett, managing editor of SoFabFood and creator of the healthy living blog, Insanity Is Not An Option, is a WAHM of 6 kids ranging in age from 27 to 8. She enjoys sharing her heart-healthy, low sodium recipes to help others with dietary restrictions enjoy a flavorful life while maintaining a healthy diet.

Comments

1. Cascia Talbert says:

Poor baby! I hope she feels better soon.

Thank you. She’s feeling better each day but it’s so hard to see our little ones in pain like that!

Mel – That is the worst thing ever as far as viruses go. I hate that it never let go of Bug. The doctor said this happens with some case, not with others. And thanks for the prayers.

4. This makes me so sad! I’m very glad the kids didn’t make fun of her at school, but very sad to see her poor lips look like this. Thinking of her and hoping whatever illnesses that come through her school skip her next time

She’s got a good group of friends and is very much liked by her classmates. I wasn’t worried about that part but it hurt my heart that she was.

6. bigguysmama says:

That poor sweet girl. =( I loathe when people send their kids to school sick. They’re selfish and don’t think of the other families. I had no idea that hand-foot-mouth continued on through life. I thought it was a virus, ran it’s course, and was gone. I’m so sorry she has to live with this. =( Hope she gets well soon!

Yes, it’s rare Mimi, but apparently (and obviously) it happens. Unfortunately it stuck with my baby. Thank you! Your well-wishes are very much appreciated. She’s getting better now.

8. BrandiJeter says:

Oh Christy. I am so sorry that you are going through this. Over the years I have seen how resilient you are, how you get knocked down and get back up and are even better than before. It’s hard when the responsibility to make things better is on someone else, though. I hope things get better this week. And I hope you hear those 2 words that are so important.

9. bigguysmama says:

My eyes are ready to spill over for what you’re going through. I’m so sorry, Christy. Hearing those words is so vital to healing. I’m trying to get better at saying them, especially to the ones I love the most, the ones I tend to hurt the easiest and the most. Praying that something will jolt him and things will begin to change. Wishing I could hug you, but I’ll put my flip flops on and think about you as I’m wearing them tonight! <3

Thank you Brandi. YOUR words always mean a lot to me…because I know you mean them. I appreciate the boost of confidence and I appreciate our friendship.

Unfortunately we all do that…hurt the ones we love the most. We’re human. It’s just find the right way to apologize, mean it and show it, that really matters the most. I’m so happy we’re flip flop sisters. That makes me smile. 🙂

12. This is not hand foot mouth disease. This is a typical classic case of hsv 1, also known as fever blisters. These are contagious as long as they are visible, but only from skin to skin contact.

0 Flares Facebook 0 Twitter 0 Google+ 0 StumbleUpon 0 Pin It Share 0 LinkedIn 0 Email -- Buffer 0 Filament.io 0 Flares ×