4 Flares 4 Flares ×
Seriously y’all…this is a huge deal. A HUGE deal. I’ve told you time and time again that I don’t bake. I mean I do, sometimes, but not really. Every single time I break down and bake because the babies want something sweet, I use a box. As in (oh gosh…true confession time) I have 6 kids and cook almost every night of my life, but I’ve never, ever attempted to bake anything from scratch before. It is what it is.
The babies wanted cookies. I really limit their sweets, and they were good today, so they should have cookies. I had no boxed mix. I Googled sugar cookies and they looked easy enough (even to me) so I promised them cookies. But doh…I had no flour. None. Not even a morsel. I was surely going to break their hearts, but I just couldn’t. They looked so sad. So, so sad. I had oatmeal and an idea and I decided to fade back and punt. I mixed, I experimented, and I said a little prayer. When these goodies came out of the oven, surprisingly (although admittedly not the prettiest cookies on the planet) they smelled amazing. AND the babies loved them. Heck, B thought they were good and he’s a baked goods snob. I DID IT! I made homemade cookies. YAY ME!
And since this recipe was so easy (because that’s how I roll) and apparently delicious, I thought I’d share it with you. Honestly, if you’re going to indulge on sweet treats (which I don’t), this is actually a healthier alternative. So here goes.
What you’ll need:
- 1/3 cup melted no-salt butter
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1/2 cup Milk Chocolate M&M’s Candies
What you’ll do:
- Whisk the butter, egg, vanilla, and cinnamon together well
- Mix in the brown sugar…why does that always have to be such a pain?
- Pour in the oats and M&M’s and mix until you have a “batter”
- Drop teaspoon sized balls onto an ungreased cookie pan and flatten slightly with a glass (like a glass glass, not a plastic one…don’t ask me how I know this…just trust me)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes, let them cool for a few, and serve!
That’s it. Seriously…THAT’S IT! I feel like I’m so accomplished now. Pitiful, but true. I loved seeing the smiles on the babies’ faces and hearing them ask for “just one more”. For the record, they only got 2 each. I may just start baking on a regular basis now. Who knows?
What’s your favorite EASY cookie recipe? Go easy on me because I’m a novice!