Sweet and Sour Chicken. It’s good, right? Well your typical restaurant variety is pretty high in sodium so it’s not something my family can eat often. Until now. This lower sodium Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe hit the spot and it’s being added to the family meal rotation as we speak! The batter on the chicken came out awesome and the sauce was fantastic. Add in the fact that you have vegetables, some light carbs, and fruit? Heck, you can’t go wrong with that!
Sweet & Sour Chicken Ingredients
- 2 lbs chicken tenders cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup bread flour
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup olive oil
- Cut your chicken into cubes and set aside.
- Mix flour, corn starch, and spices in a mixing bowl, then add the water and stir to batter consistency.
- Put chicken cubes in the bowl and thoroughly cover.
- Heat oil in a large pan on the stovetop.
- Fry chicken until cooked thoroughly, turning occasionally. Juices will be clear and chicken coating will be golden brown.
- Set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
While the chicken is cooking, cut up some red bell peppers and pineapple and simmer them up in about 1 tablespoon of oil just until tender.
Sweet and Sour Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup low sodium ketchup
- 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp corn starch
Sweet and Sour Sauce Cooking Instructions:
- Mix the corn starch and pineapple juice until fully blended in a sauce pan.
- Add in all of the other ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring regularly, then reduce heat, and simmer until sauce thickens.
Cook up some boil-in-a-bag rice according to the package directions and serve it up with your chicken, veggie, and fruit combination with some of your delicious sweet and sour sauce on the side. It’s a healthy meal that’s sure to please everyone, every time. Enjoy!