Let me just put this out there, I pretty much stink at desserts. If it’s sweet and you have to bake it, you can be pretty certain that I’ll ruin it. For this reason alone, I don’t bake sweets. If I’m not good at something, I don’t do it. Who wants to set themselves up for failure? But really, my family loves sweet treats from time to time so I had to step it up and figure something out. B found a recipe on Facebook that he shared. It was just a photo and text. He didn’t know I saw it I guess, but I took the hint and bought the ingredients for this No Bake Italian Cake. And oh my gersh, y’all, it was so simple and they LOVED it. If you’re a non-baker like me, or even if you can bake, you’ll want to try this recipe out. It’s a tropical explosion in your mouth and when I asked B what it tasted like, he simply replied, “Heaven”. I’ll take that as a win in my recipe book.
When I say simple, I mean it. You literally layer a baking dish with Nilla Wafers, mix sweetened condensed milk with crushed pineapple and lemon juice and pour that on the wafers. Another row of wafers, some Cool Whip, coconut flakes, all with a cherry (or several) on top. Done. Well, there’s chilling involved, but still. Even I can’t mess this up!
- 50 Nilla Wafers
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup sweet flaked coconut
- 8 oz container Cool Whip (I didn't use the full container)
- 15 maraschino cherries, halved
- Place a single layer of Nilla Wafers in the bottom of a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish.
- Mix condensed milk and lemon in a large mixing bowl.
- Add pineapple to the milk and stir.
- Pour mixture over the Nilla Wafers.
- Add another layer of wafers on top of milk and pineapple mixture.
- Top with Cool Whip like a frosting.
- Sprinkle with coconut flakes.
- Drain cherry halves with a paper towel so they don't bleed and place on top of the cake.
- Refrigerate overnight, about 8 hours.
This dessert was a huge hit and I’ll definitely be making it again because it was easy and they absolutely loved it. I know this isn’t my typical healthy recipe, and you won’t see many more like this here, but I just had to share. Everyone needs to indulge on occasion, so here’s your chance to indulge. Enjoy!