My family loves chili and I rely on my Crock Pot to help me out during the week. Since chili is so versatile, I make some variety of it once a week and freeze the leftovers for nights when I forget to take something out to fix for dinner (what…I’m the only one that does that?). This hearty, low sodium chicken chili is always a favorite and it practically makes itself because all you do is dump the ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning and a full meal is magically ready when it’s time to eat. It really doesn’t get better than that, does it?
- 1 lb frozen chicken breasts or tenders
- 2-8 oz cans no salt added tomato sauce
- 1-15 oz can of low sodium pinto beans
- 1-15 oz can of no salt added diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 6 oz light beer (or non-alcoholic beer)
- Place frozen chicken breasts or tenders in bottom of Crock Pot.
- Pour in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans, and beer.
- Add spices.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- About ½ hour before the chili is ready, break up the chicken (it's so tender by this point that you can literally break it up with your mixing spoon), and stir everything up, then simmer for another ½ hour before serving.
- Top with cheese if you'd like and serve will crackers or tortilla chips.
This is such an easy weeknight meal, it’s almost silly. And the beauty of this recipe, or any chili recipe for that matter, is that it tastes even better the next day so it’s a perfect lunch option as well. I adore my Crock Pot because without it, some nights I simply wouldn’t get dinner on the table before 9:00 pm and that just doesn’t work for this hungry bunch. What’s your favorite slow cooker recipe for busy weeknights? I’d love to give it a try!