Happy National Grilled Cheese Month! It’s no surprise to me that my birthday month (shush…I’m not telling you how old I’ll be) is also graced with this dubious title. I mean, seriously…grilled cheese? Second only to pizza in my book. I remember begging for grilled cheese sandwiches as a child, and eating them in college with a hot bowl of tomato soup. Personally, I’ll never outgrow the traditional grilled cheese sandwich, but since I know some people do, including my husband, I look for ways to make my childhood favorite a little more grown up. This recipe for Grown Up Grilled Cheese with Shredded BBQ Chicken (low sodium of course) was B’s lunch today and he couldn’t stop raving. Yes, it’s a simple recipe, but comfort food is often the most simple, and the most satisfying.
- ½ cup shredded chicken breast
- ¼ cup BBQ Sauce
- 1 slice mozzarella cheese
- 1 slice colby jack cheese
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- Mix shredded chicken and BBQ sauce together.
- Brush outer sides of both pieces of bread with avocado oil.
- In a frying pan, layer one slice of bread oil side down, then one slice of cheese, then chicken, then the other slice of cheese, and finally the other slice of bread oil side up.
- Cook over medium-low heat on one side for about 5 minutes, flip and cook for 5 minutes on the other side.
This simple lunch is hearty and satisfying even to the big eaters in your family like B. Using Avocado Oil instead of butter makes the bread less soggy and allows for more even frying without burned or uncooked spots. If you want to lower the sodium for this grilled cheese, make a Low Sodium BBQ Sauce like we do instead of using a store-bought variety. Grilled cheese sandwiches are the way to go at lunch time. They’re so simple to make and the possibilities are endless. What’s your favorite grilled cheese recipe? I’d love to try it!