Fried Burritos: A Surprisingly Heart-Healthy Dinner Option
My family loves Mexican food and although I’m not a huge fan of fried foods, they absolutely love fried foods of any kind, including burritos. Since I try to keep things on the healthy side and completely low sodium, I have perfected my recipe for fried burritos to satisfy their love of fried and spicy foods and combine it with my love of only serving them heart-healthy dishes. The coolest thing about this recipe is that the filling I use for this flavorful dish is also the same one I use for stuffed peppers and party dips, so making a big batch that you can freeze for later is an added bonus!
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 can low sodium tomato soup
- 1 pkg Mrs. Dash Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup precooked brown rice
- 1-4 oz can green chiles, undrained
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup red onion
- 4 flour tortillas
- 5 tbsp canola oil.
- Cook lean ground turkey until done.
- Add chopped onion and cook until tender.
- Add tomato soup, Mrs. Dash Seasoning, water, and heat over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- While meat mixture is simmering, cook brown rice according to package instructions.
- Mix rice in with meat mixture and remove from heat.
- In a large frying pan, heat the canola oil.
- Burrito wrap about 4-5 tbsp of the meat and rice mixture in each tortilla.
- Fry burritos over low-medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side, until nicely browned.
- Serve with a side of corn, homemade refried beans, and your favorite salad vegetables.
If you decide to double or triple the filling for this recipe, you can freeze it for later to make delicious party dips (just heat it up and add cheese and serve it with tortillas) or stuffed peppers (put the mixture in the gutted bell peppers and heat in the oven for 30 minutes) for a delicious family meal. These fried burritos are great for lunch or dinner and their simplicity is almost silly. Even though they’re fried, you’ll feel good knowing that you’re serving a heart-healthy meal your family will request on the regular. Simple, delicious, and a real crowd pleaser, this recipe is one you’ll definitely want to add to your box.
Speak Your Mind