This post may contain affiliate links, but all opinions, ideas, and photos are entirely my own.
When I was in Arkansas for a recent conference, they had the most amazing sea salt scrub in all of the bathrooms at the hotel. Let’s face it folks, I don’t get out much, so I’m not overly accustomed to this sort of thing. Then B took us (yes, all of us) out for our 11th anniversary last week, and a sea salt scrub was awaiting me in the restaurant bathroom too. Bug and I washed our hands, used this scrub, and talked about how wonderful it was. Then I saw a post by my friend, Censie from Building Our Story, and she shared how easy it was to make her Lavender Vanilla Scrub at home.
I had a plan. You might have guessed by now that it involved sea salt and some super soft hands. You might (OK, you were) have been right.
I wanted this stuff in my house. I wanted my guests to feel as special as I do every time I step into a bathroom with this hand-softening magic. She made it look SO easy. And guess what? It really is! I used Censie’s initial “recipe” and changed it up to fit my color and “flavor” preferences, and it was a huge hit with me, with Bug, and with my neighbors (more on that later).
Want to make some for yourself?
What you’ll need:
- Sealable glass or plastic container (I used mason jars)
- 2 cups Epson salt
- 2 cups course sea salt
- 3 tbsp orange extract
- 1/2 cup olive or coconut oil (I used coconut oil)
- 5 drops red food coloring to give it the orange glow (this is optional and you should never use too much or your hands will show it).
What you’ll do:
- Mix the Epson salt and sea salt in a bowl. Make sure you get rid of any clumps.
- In a separate bowl, mix the orange extract, coconut (or olive) oil, and food coloring together.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the salt mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Carefully put the mixed salts into a mason jar (or container of choice), and you’re done.
This stuff is ah-mazing and I use it every day. So does Bug. It’s great for making your guests feel special, it’s super easy, and it’s an awesome gift. We were invited to a cookout over the weekend and I brought a mason jar full to the hostess. She put it out on her bathroom sink and by the end of the night, every women in the place was asking if I sell it. It’s that delicious to your hands.
The possibilities are endless since there are so many scent and color combinations you can try. Who knew feeling this pampered could be this simple? Not me, until now anyway. Try it out for yourself and let me know what you think. Sure, you can buy this in the store, but I honestly think this DIY version is even better than the stuff I used in those hotels and high-dollar restaurants. My hands have never felt, or smelled, this good!