Sloppy Joes are a great, quick weeknight meal and my family loves them. We love a good Manwich as much as anyone, but holy heck, have you seen the sodium packed in that can? And then when you pair your sandwich with chips and pickles, you’ve got a plate full of salt that just isn’t very heart healthy (although it is delicious). If your family loves Sloppy Joes too, but you’re trying to reduce the sodium in your diet (you should), you’re going to want to try this recipe for lower sodium Sloppy Joes. It tastes as good as a Manwich, hold the salt please and thank you.
- 1.5 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 cup low sodium ketchup
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp low sodium Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp prepared mustard
- ½ tsp Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- ½ tsp Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb Seasoning
- 5 dashes of your favorite hot sauce
- Brown the lean ground turkey.
- Add all wet ingredients and stir.
- Add seasonings and mix thoroughly.
- Simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
Serve these Sloppy Joes on a bun paired with some homemade baked sweet potato chips, and bread & butter pickle slices (since they are lower in sodium than dill chips), or canned low sodium jalapenos for an easy weeknight meal that your family will love. Simple and delicious, this is one meal you’re definitely going to want to add into your weekly meal plan.