In my house, we love tacos and we have some version of them every week. We rotate between taco salads, traditional crunchy or soft tacos, and this low sodium taco casserole with homemade taco sauce which is also great for enchiladas. The casserole is probably my favorite to fix because I love meals that taste great, are easy to clean up, and allow you to make sure that everything is piping hot and ready to serve all at the same time. With a crushed corn tortilla crust, ground turkey, corn, beans, cheese, and enchilada sauce, this is one recipe you’ll definitely want to try!
- For the Casserole:
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 can no salt added corn
- 1 can no salt added red beans of choice, blended in food processor
- 1½ cups unsalted corn tortilla chips
- 1½ cups enchilada sauce
- Enchilada Sauce:
- 3 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 tbsp flour
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 10 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Prepare your sauce by adding oil and flour to a medium stovetop pan, heat for 1 minute, then add all other ingredients, stir, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Cook ground turkey until almost done.
- Add 1 cup enchilada sauce to turkey and simmer until turkey is cooked thoroughly.
- Crush ½ of the tortilla chips and cover the bottom of a 9x9 baking dish.
- Cover the crushed chips with the turkey mixture.
- Cover with corn.
- Cover with bean mixture.
- Crush the remaining ½ of the tortilla chips and sprinkle on top.
- Cover with cheese of choice (we use Monterrey Jack).
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce evenly on top.
- Cover and cook in a 425º preheated oven for about 30 minutes, until cheese is evenly melted.
B likes to crush a few more chips over his to give it a crunch, so you could definitely try that too. Bug just prefers her “taco lasagna” the way it is. Either way, this low sodium taco casserole gets rave reviews in my house. The low sodium taco or enchilada sauce is completely delicious in all of your Mexican dishes without all of the added sodium of canned or jarred sauces.
Simple and delicious, this low sodium taco casserole is a great addition to your weekly family meal plan and a nice change from traditional tacos from time to time. Since everything is already in one place, there’s no need to pair it with anything. You already have your protein and vegetables, so all you need to add is the heat with a few jalapenos and enjoy!