Sometimes being a vegetarian can be a little tricky. If you don’t eat meat for whatever reason, you really don’t want to eat any kind of meat at all. That includes chicken or beef stock. That’s meat. When you want comfort food like vegetable soup or potato soup, you might think you’re getting a vegetarian “meal in a can”, but look closely at that label. Most canned soups that you’d think were vegetarian (hello vegetable soup) actually contain beef or chicken stock. In fact, stop what you’re doing and Google either one of those soups and I guaran-dang-tee you 98% of them include some sort of meat stock. Weird, right? Well, I don’t use meat stock in my vegetable soups because well…it’s supposed to be just vegetables and I’m a vegetarian. If you’re in the same boat as me, you’re going to love this recipe for Vegetarian Potato Soup. It’s got a nice kick to it because I like things spicy, and it’s creamy, delicious, and very satisfying all by itself.
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 4 cups cubed potatoes
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1-4 oz can diced green chiles, undrained
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup soy milk
- ¼ cup instant potato flakes
- 1 tbsp ground pepper
- In a large pot on the stovetop, boil cubed potatoes in vegetable stock until tender then mash to desired consistency. I like to leave mine a little chunky.
- Sauté the onion in butter until tender.
- Mix butter and onion in with your potatoes.
- Add soy milk, chiles, pepper, and potato flakes into the pot and stir thoroughly.
- Heat on the stove top on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve topped with cheese and croutons...hold the bacon.
This Vegetarian Potato Soup is so hearty and satisfying that even the meat lovers in your life will enjoy this recipe. This recipe is very low in sodium so it’s perfect for anyone that needs to lower their daily salt intake. Serve this for dinner along with your favorite sandwiches or as a delicious and fulfilling lunch. You’ll never have to wonder what meat monster is hiding in that bowl with this soup recipe. Go ahead…make it. You know you want a bite!