My family loves fried chicken but as you know, I try to avoid frying foods, and I always have to avoid the sodium. So coming up with delicious alternatives to fried chicken is kind of a game to me. This recipe was a huge hit at my house so I decided to share it here in case you are looking for a lower sodium, baked alternative to traditional fried chicken.
I do like easy meal options and I’ve tried using store-bought easy solutions, but they are all too high in sodium leaving B with issues the next day. I decided to take inspiration from a big brand that offers breading and cheese packaged together which is true brilliance in my book. Cheese, on anything, makes it better. So I set out on a copycat mission, minus the sodium of course, and the results were delicious!
What you’ll need:
- 6 Chicken breasts
- 1 cup bread crumbs, like real ones, where you crumble up the bread yourself
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded cheese of choice (I used reduced sodium Colby Jack)
- Spray can of Canola Oil
- 1 tspn each, Mrs. Dash Tomato & Basil, Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb, Mrs. Dash Italian Medley
- Spray a glass baking dish with Canola Oil, enough to cover the entire bottom of the dish.
- Crumble enough bread to make 1 cup bread crumbs (I cheat and use my Ninja), and spread them on a plate.
- Add all of the spices and the cheese into the bread crumbs, and mix well.
- Whisk 1 egg in a bowl big enough to dunk the chicken.
- Dip the chicken in the egg and then dredge in the bread crumb/cheese mixture until fully coated.
- Place the coated chicken breasts in the pan, spray the tops of them with the Canola Oil (this will make the coating more crisp and seem more like fried on the outside without all of the dripping oil).
- Place uncovered in the oven at 375 degrees for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes.
- Take out, let cool, serve alongside your favorite side dish, enjoy!
My family has already requested that this easy dish be put on the weekly rotation so I’m done experimenting with my faux fried chicken recipes. Folks, we have a winner! Try this delicious dish at your next family meal and let me know what they think. I hope you love this as much as we do!